What is Transformational Breath®? The physical & emotional benefits? Plus free one-pager guide.
What is Transformational Breath®?
Transformational Breath® is a therapeutic breathwork system, awarded Best Complementary Medicine Organisation by the Institute of Complementary & Natural Medicine. Facilitators like me get to know your unique breath pattern, as individual as your fingerprint, before getting to work increasing the depth and flow of your breath. This unlocks a whole host of physical and emotional benefits, and expands your conscious awareness. Once you’ve been taught the technique you can practice at home for free, putting you in the driving seat when it comes to your health and wellbeing. Powerful stuff.
Check out my free Connected Breathing one-pager to learn the basics of the technique right now.
How does it work?
The general principle is that tension, trauma — any emotion that has not been able to flow freely — remains in our system as trapped energy. At the most fundamental level feelings are energy. This is one of the first lessons in physics. Everything, from the sofa you’re sitting on to the thoughts in your head, is energy. When we don’t allow ourselves to feel all of our feelings, like sadness or anger, energy gets stuck inside us. Cultural/social expectations are often the reason we hold back feelings but there are also times when we simply can’t allow ourselves to ‘go there’ emotionally, because we have to hold it together to survive. My mind goes to a client who lost her dad, but had to get through organising his funeral and clearing out his house before she could finally start to grieve. Such is life, however these energetic blockages can manifest in all manner of ailments and mental-ills if left unchecked.
The good news is that Transformational Breath® safely and gently locates and accesses areas of stagnant energy, allowing it to surface and be released for good. A range of techniques are brought together to achieve this.
Transformational Breath® techniques
- Breath Analysis: I observe clients’ regular breath pattern and read it using advanced knowledge of the breath and how it moves through the body. Reading the breath includes spotting areas where the breath either doesn’t flow at all or doesn’t flow optimally, which suggests muscle tension and energetic blockages — and therefore potential ‘integration’ of past traumas/negative beliefs. Potential to support the body’s natural healing processes. It’s worth noting here that we all carry tension, to a greater or lesser degree, even if we have not consciously been through anything we might think of as particularly ‘traumatic’. We can all benefit from breathing better.
- Transformational Breath® breathing technique: Clients are shown an open-mouth breath pattern that when done continuously creates a high vibration in the body. Negative feelings have a lower vibration which is attracted to the higher vibrational breath. When they meet, the lower vibrations are permanently transformed. This is a natural process described in quantum physics as The Law of Entrainment and there are examples of it in action throughout the natural world. But that’s a story for another day!
- Acupressure points: Holding acupressure points, combined with the breathing technique, improves the effectiveness of the method — releasing tension and shifting energy rapidly.
- Sound and movement: Sound also shifts energy. That’s why we feel better after we’ve shouted and expressed rage, or had a good ol’ sing-song in the shower. Moving our body has the same effect. When uncomfortable emotions arise in a breath session I invite clients to make an ‘aaahh’ sound like a long held note, while pounding the floor or a pillow. It’s not psycho-drama. Far from it. It’s a tried and tested tool to move energy along and I always join in to remove any feelings of embarrassment on the part of the client.
- Affirmations: I use positive phrases, like mantras, which help reprogram any faulty thinking that holds a client back or impairs their enjoyment of life. We’ve all had the experience of being comforted by the right words at the right time, but I invite you to think about affirmations even more deeply. If absolutely everything is energy then that includes speech. Positive talk has a high vibration, a beneficial energetic signature, which means affirmations are working on many levels — both consciously and unconsciously.
And finally, the benefits…
- Soothes muscle tension: Pain, stress and anger all cause our breath to become shallow and our muscles to contract. Better breathing is the antidote.
- Relaxation: Optimal breathing activates the parasympathetic nervous system, bringing us into a state of calm. Deep relaxation alone can also have a profound positive impact on the digestive system too.
- Alleviates IBS & other digestive issues: Correct breathing equals increased blood flow in the digestive tract which encourages intestinal action and boosts digestion.
- Improves our mental state: Relieves anxiety, stress, depression & habitual negative thinking. Helps to resolve addictions/eating disorders. Boosts our concentration, productivity, creativity, intuition — even our memory.
- Supports cardiovascular health: In a study, heart attack survivors who embraced exercise and breathwork decreased their risk of future heart attacks by 50%. This is because diaphragmatic breathwork conditions and increases circulation to the heart (as well as the liver and brain).
- Supports fertility: Increased circulation around the reproductive organs can help people experiencing difficulties conceiving.
- Immunity: Approximately 70% of our toxins are released from our body through our breath. Conscious breathwork supercharges this natural process. It also stimulates our lymphatic system, which cleanses the body and rids it of bacteria and viruses.
I believe in giving everyone access to the tools they need to live a healthy, soulful life. So don’t forget you can download my free one-pager and start practicing the basic Transformational Breath® technique at home today. Thanks for reading and please subscribe via my website to receive next month’s column straight to your inbox, as well as special offers on Transformational Breath® and personal coaching sessions with me via Zoom.